Skip to main content

Hasbro's Visionaries: What Happened?


(From visionaries.fandom.com)
 Since the early 1980s, Hasbro had been dominating a large part of the toy market with their ever popular toy line G.I Joe. Encouraged by the massive success of their line of 3.75 inch boys action figures, Hasbro set out to make something in the same vein but in the fantasy genre. Thus, in 1987, Visionaries: Knights of the Magical Light, was born.
 
Considering how popular G.I Joe had been, and the fact that wave 2 was 33% larger than wave 1, sales couldn't have been that awful. The property also had a Toy line, TV show, and comic series. It seemed that Visionaries was headed straight to the top, which leads to the question: what happened?

(From dailymotion.com)
Contrary to popular belief, Visionaries wasn't cancelled due to poor toy sales; it ended because of Hasbro not renewing their contract with Marvel/Sunbow, the same event that also ended Jem and the Holograms. It's hard to find numbers on how well the line was selling; could sales not being the best have led Hasbro to not care enough about saving the line when they didn't renew their contract? Sure, it's possible, but the size of the massive unproduced second wave actually gives credit to the theory that the line was doing quite well.

The second wave was set to be released in 1988, and include fourteen figures, four vehicles which included an exclusive figure, two vehicles without a figure, a playset, and six small Sun Imps toys. Dang, we missed out on a lot of good characters and vehicles.

(From actionfigurepics.com)

(From pinterest.com)
(Both from Prysmos Wiki)

(From www.visionaries.net)
So if the contract between Hasbro and Marvel/Sunbow hadn't ended, or Hasbro decided to save Visionaries like they did with G.I Joe and Transformers, what could have come of the Spectral Knights and Darkling Lords? If Hasbro had continued to produce and sell large waves of figures and vehicles each year, and the cartoon had gotten a second season, Visionaries could have been one of the most prominent 80s toy lines, right up there with Masters of the Universe, G.I Joe, Transformers, and Tmnt. Had visionaries ever achieved this level of fame, the chances of a reboot being released at some point also would have been much larger.

Sadly, this wasn't the case, and Visionaries has been struggling to find its footing for the past thirty years. In 2009/2010 there was a pitch for a reboot called: Visionaries Reborn, and Hasbro filed for new trademark applications for several names in the series at this time, although nothing ever came of this. In 2013, despite no announcements of a new Visionaries reboot, Hasbro customer service (most likely accidentally) put out listings for eight 6 inch Visionaries action figures: Leoric, Cryotec, Galadria, Arzon, Darkstorm, Virulina, Cravex, and Cindarr. This led many fans to believe that a reboot was just around the corner, however, nothing ever happened and Hasbro removed the figure listings from their site without ever addressing them.

(From www.thevisionaries.net)
There was lots of talk about a Visionaries reboot coming to fruition through the Hasbro Cinematic Universe, and a movie was even confirmed at one point, with rumors that the movie was going to be set in present day earth, and the Spectral Knights and Darkling Lords would all be teenagers, but this too was eventually cancelled along with movies for several other Hasbro properties.

Visionaries finally reentered pop culture with the comic series Transformers vs Visionaries, which debuted in December of 2017 with little fanfare. Since then, there hasn't been much discussion of a reboot. Maybe one day the Visionaries will finally find their place in pop culture with a new TV series or toy-line, but for now, they're stuck in the 80s

(From tfwiki.net)
Thanks for Reading! Have a Great Day! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thundercats 2011 Bandai line continued! (Part 2)

Welcome back! In this week's Thundercats post I'll be speculating on wave 5 of the Bandai Thundercats 4" toy line. In part 1 I talked about the fourth wave of toys in an article which can be found here and next week will be the third part about wave 6 Following the pattern I talked about in part 1, wave 5 would have mainly been focused on the first few episodes of season 2. Sadly, as most of you already know, the second season was never made😄. However, fans did got some closure from Dan Norton's "Thundercats: the rest of the series" In which he talked about what would have happened in season 2. If you're a fan of the 2011 series, I highly recommend you listen to it. Today I'll be making all speculations off of this podcast so lets pick up where we left off, with wave 5. Wave 5 --- Fall 2013  Basic Figures: - Lion-O v.3 (Season 2 look) - Lynx-O - Evil Pumyra - Berbil pack v.2 - Classic Panthro   Deluxe Figures: - Royal Lion-O - Ratar-O ...

Thundercats LJN Bengali Review

Recently, I was able to get one of the rarest figures in the entire Thundercats line: Bengali. As my favorite Thundercat, I was thrilled to finally get his figure for the cheap price of only 90 euros. Today I'll be reviewing this figure to complete my reviews of the 87 Thundercats. Enjoy! Design:   the figure's sculpt is quite well done. It's nice that LJN gave Bengali his own mold instead of repainting on of the Tygra figures; something that could have likely been had Mattel produced the line (not to knock Mattel). Like most other figures in the line, Bengali has a lever on his back that makes his arm swing up when pushed. Painting: Bengali is one of the most visually appealing Thundercats figures with his many shades of blue and white. Like Pumyra and Lynx-O , LJN payed attention to the detail and color scheme; the three shades of blue alternate nicely.   Price: Bengali could be picked up in stores for $5.99 (about $13.64 in today's money)...

The Seth Kearsley Mummies Alive! Interview

  MB:         To start off, how did you get your job working on Mummies Alive ? S.K:         I had been working in animation for a little bit, but I hadn’t been a director or producer director. I had done freelance as a storyboard artist, but I hadn’t even had a full time in house storyboard position, and when I was working at Disney …I pitched a show to them, and someone said, “Well, you have to get an agent if you’re going to pitch shows.” So now I have an agent, and he asked what I wanted to do and I said, “You know, I’ve always wanted to direct.”   Ever since I was little I remember seeing E.T at the drive in theater and asking my dad, “Why is that so good? Like, why is it so different than everything else?”   And he’s like, “Well, it’s because of the director,” and my uncle was a stage director on Broadway so my dad knew a little bit about what directing actually is.   Seth Kearsley. P...