Skip to main content

Thundercats 2011 Bandai line continued! (Part 2)

Welcome back! In this week's Thundercats post I'll be speculating on wave 5 of the Bandai Thundercats 4" toy line. In part 1 I talked about the fourth wave of toys in an article which can be found here and next week will be the third part about wave 6

Following the pattern I talked about in part 1, wave 5 would have mainly been focused on the first few episodes of season 2. Sadly, as most of you already know, the second season was never made😥. However, fans did got some closure from Dan Norton's "Thundercats: the rest of the series" In which he talked about what would have happened in season 2. If you're a fan of the 2011 series, I highly recommend you listen to it. Today I'll be making all speculations off of this podcast so lets pick up where we left off, with wave 5.

Wave 5 --- Fall 2013 
Basic Figures:
-Lion-O v.3 (Season 2 look)
-Lynx-O
-Evil Pumyra
-Berbil pack v.2
-Classic Panthro  
Deluxe Figures:
-Royal Lion-O
-Ratar-O
Basic Vehicles:
-Thunderclaw with Panthro v.3 (Season 2 look)
Deluxe Vehicles:
-Lizard Cruiser with Lizard Soldier v.2
Playset:
-Cats Lair with Snow Leopard

I'll now explain my reasoning for each item on the list, starting with the basic figures.




-Lion-O v.3 (Season 2 look)

At the beginning of the podcast, Dan says that there's been a time jump between seasons 1 and 2. Lion-O is now more muscular and has a fuller mane. Like I've said before, Bandai really liked to make variants for the line, so we most likely would've gotten Lion-O in his new look in the very first wave of figures centered around the new season.

-Lynx-O

Good news: the third episode of season 2 would've been all about Lynx-o. We would've found out that he has a grudge with Slithe and that he was taken as a prisoner of war by the lizards after Thundera fell. The episode also had Tygra and Panthro go on a mission to free Lynx-O from the lizards. The bad news: Lynx-O is killed by Slithe at the end of the episode, ruling out any chances he had of becoming a regular. Nevertheless, As a main character in the original series he would've had to get a figure
(From Dan Norton at Deviantart.com)
-Evil Pumyra

In season 2, Pumyra would've been one of Mumm-Ra's generals, alongside Slithe, Kaynar, and Addicus. Although it's never specifically mentioned in the podcast, It seems likely that Pumyra would have switched to a more armored outfit that was better for battle. This also would've given Bandai a cool variant to make.
(From THEWHITETIGER97 at Deviantart.com)
-Berbil pack v.2 

Although we were going to get a Ro-Bear Bill and Ro-Bear Beebo 2 pack in wave 3, there were still many Berbils who would be wanted by collectors, specifically Ro-Bear Bella. Since the Berbils would become recurring characters in the second season and build most of new Thundera, another 2 pack seems probable. I believe that one of the two included would definitely be Bella and the other would most likely be the red, skinny Berbil who was always around.

(From Thundercats.ws)

(From Thundercats.ws)
-Classic Panthro 

In wave 4 we would've gotten a "Classic Lion-O figure" I suspected that it would've been a figure with the Lion-O mold from the 2011 series with the 80s colors. If Bandai was planning a Lion-O like this then its likely that we could've seen other characters in this style. Since Panthro hadn't had a variant since wave 2, it's likely that he would've been next up in classic 4" form.


-Royal Lion-O
 
Since Lion-O would have a more official role as king in the second season, it would be a good addition to the line if we got him in a more official, royal looking costume like Claudus wore. The aforementioned v.3 Lion-O on the list would be what he wears when going on missions with the core cast.
(From CIAyMoRe--MiRiA at Deviantart.com)
-Ratar-O

I'm guessing that Bandai would've held Ratar-O back until now so that the fifth wave could include one of the more famous villians. Ratar-O would work best as a deluxe figure because of his height; In the one episode he's in, he towers above all the other characters.

(From Thundercats.ws)
  
-Thunderclaw with Panthro v.3 (Season 2 look)
   

We don't know much in the way of vehicles that were going to appear in season 2. Dan does mention however, that some more vehicles from the original series were going to appear. I included the Hovercat on the list because it's well known, fun, and colorful. Considering what we learned from the podcast, it's likely that the Berbils along with Panthro would've built the Thundercats some new vehicles to fight the Mutants with. The exclusive figure could have been Panthro in his season 2 appearance. I suspect that most of the main characters would have had a slighly differnt look in the second season but not different enough to warrant their own figure.

(From Thundercats.fandom.com)


-Lizard Cruiser with Lizard Soldier v.2

The Lizard Cruisers were the main source of transportation for the lizards in the second half of season one. They had the most appearances for a vehicle in the show that never got a toy. Although I expect the toy version would be sized down, it would still be fun to get, and would give us a bigger vehicle for the villains, which we hadn't gotten in a while. I suppose the exclusive figure included could be a Slithe variant but I'm going with a lizard soldier because the one included with the lizard canon didn't look much like most of the lizard troopers from the show.


(From Thundercats-ho.fandom.com)

(From Thundercats-ho.fandom.com)
-Cats Lair with Snow Leopard

One of the most interesting parts of season 2 would've been the rebuilding of Thundera. At the end of the first episode of season 2 the gang decides where to rebuild and by the second episode, we see that construction has already begun on the new Cats Lair which would've been much more technologically advanced than the first one. The new Thundera was also going to include all species of animals who opposed Mumm-Ra, and because of this, the Berbils were going to build most of the city. As the most iconic location of the original series, a playset would've been very welcome.

(From Thundercats.fandom.com)
Although there are a quite a few figures who could go with this playset, I'd say the most likely is a snow leopard character. In the fourth episode of the new season, we would've met a snow leopard  who was a rival of Cheetara from her cleric training days. Dan mentions a few scenes involving the snow leopard in this episode were going to take place in the new Cats Lair. While I'm sure that tons of characters would've gone in and out of the lair over the course of the season, there's a specific reason I believe the snow leopard would have been the figure included. Although the line is called Thundercats, the vast majority of characters aren't actually cats. Bandai seemingly tried to fix this by making figures of minor characters who were cats like Claudus and Tygus. A completely new character most likely couldn't have gotten it's own basic or deluxe figure, but being included with a vehicle or playset was very probable.


I'd like to note that, as some people know, both the Tigersharks and Silverhawks were both going to appear in the second season. While figures and vehicles from these to lines would be incredible, Dan mentioned in the podcast that it was extremely unlikely either would recieve toy representation due to licensing rights.

I hope you've enjoyed reading this article! Next week I'll be releasing part 3 in which I speculate on wave 6. Have a great day!

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thundercats LJN Bengali Review

Recently, I was able to get one of the rarest figures in the entire Thundercats line: Bengali. As my favorite Thundercat, I was thrilled to finally get his figure for the cheap price of only 90 euros. Today I'll be reviewing this figure to complete my reviews of the 87 Thundercats. Enjoy! Design:   the figure's sculpt is quite well done. It's nice that LJN gave Bengali his own mold instead of repainting on of the Tygra figures; something that could have likely been had Mattel produced the line (not to knock Mattel). Like most other figures in the line, Bengali has a lever on his back that makes his arm swing up when pushed. Painting: Bengali is one of the most visually appealing Thundercats figures with his many shades of blue and white. Like Pumyra and Lynx-O , LJN payed attention to the detail and color scheme; the three shades of blue alternate nicely.   Price: Bengali could be picked up in stores for $5.99 (about $13.64 in today's money)...

The Seth Kearsley Mummies Alive! Interview

  MB:         To start off, how did you get your job working on Mummies Alive ? S.K:         I had been working in animation for a little bit, but I hadn’t been a director or producer director. I had done freelance as a storyboard artist, but I hadn’t even had a full time in house storyboard position, and when I was working at Disney …I pitched a show to them, and someone said, “Well, you have to get an agent if you’re going to pitch shows.” So now I have an agent, and he asked what I wanted to do and I said, “You know, I’ve always wanted to direct.”   Ever since I was little I remember seeing E.T at the drive in theater and asking my dad, “Why is that so good? Like, why is it so different than everything else?”   And he’s like, “Well, it’s because of the director,” and my uncle was a stage director on Broadway so my dad knew a little bit about what directing actually is.   Seth Kearsley. P...