Skip to main content

Thundercats Bandai Line Continued! (Part 3)



(From Gizmodo.com.uk)
I can only imagine running into a Walmart in early 2014, heading straight to the toy aisles and finally arriving at the Thundercats section. The racks of figures are crowded with Hachiman, The Berserkers, Stinger, and many more. Below the figures are the vehicles: The Berserker ship, The Hovercat, and the Feliner that came out a few waves ago. Next to these is the Cat's Lair playset that came out last fall. I browse for a second before grabbing Hammerhand and heading to the checkout.

Sadly, because of the cancellation of the show, this was never possible. We don't know what we would have gotten in the Bandai Thundercats toyline past wave 3, but in this series of posts I'm speculating on what was likely to come. In this post I talk about Wave 6, which would have focused on the latter half of the first thirteen episodes of season 2. I've also done post posts about Wave 4 and Wave 5 which you might want to check out before reading this post, but if you've already read them or don't care, let's go back to right were we left off!



Wave 6 --- Spring 2014
Basic Figures:
-Hachiman
-Wilykit v.2
-Wilykat v.2
-Classic Cheetara
Deluxe Figures:
-Hammerhand
-Top Spinner
-Stinger
Basic Vehicles:
Hovercat with Tygra v.2 (Season 2 look)
Deluxe Vehicles: 
Berserker ship with Ram Bam



 -Hachiman 

Like Lynx-O, Hachiman was going to get an episode centered around him in the second season. We don't know where this episode this would've been in the line up, but the plot had Lion-O go underground to a subterranean kingdom of cockroaches that Hachiman lived with. Later on in the episode Lion-O helps Hachiman and the cockroaches defeat an evil bug character who could've possibly been Stinger from the original series. As for getting a figure, Hachiman applies perfectly to the formula: being an original character + appearing in 2011 show = getting a 4" figure

Possible Hachiman redesign?  (From Thundercats.ws)
-Wilykit v.2 

When Bandai and Cartoon Network met to talk about the toy line, Bandai asked that every main character was given three points of transformation so that they would have enough figures to fill the line. Because of this, Wilykit and Wilykat looked and acted more like tweens in the second season. Another plot point from the first half of season 2 was that the kittens would spend some time apart with Wilykit living with the elephants and being their queen and Wilykat continuing to look for El Dara and becoming a king of thieves. Because neither of the kittens had gotten a figure since wave 1, now would be the perfect time to include the tween variants of them.

-Wilykat v.2

Ditto to everything I just said about Wilykit. I'm guessing that the hoverboards wouldn't be included with either of the figures since they would be slightly bigger and they would also probably be wearing new outfits.

-Classic Cheetara

This figure would be the same idea as classic Lion-O and Panthro; A 4" Cheetara figure using the mold of the 2011 figure but with the colors from the 80s series. 
 
-Hammerhand 

Near the end of the first half of season 2, there was going to be an episode that featured the Berserkers as the main villians. Each individual character was planned to appear: Hammerhand, Cruncher, Ram Bam and Top Spinner. Because of the Berserker's fun action features they most likely would've been deluxe figures. Since there were four of them, we probably couldn't have gotten all of the Berserkers in a single wave, but as the captain of the crew, Hammerhand was a definite.

(From Toyarchive.com)
-Top Spinner 

Although we couldn't get all of the Berserkers in one wave, getting at least two seems probable. The spot of second Berserker could really fit either Cruncher or Top Spinner but I ended up going with the latter because of his slightly cooler action feature.

(From Toyarchive.com)
-Stinger 

Earlier in this post I mentioned the strong possibility of Stinger appearing in the Hachiman episode. Had this been the case, he would most likely have gotten a figure in the same wave as Hachiman. Because of the unique shape of the character, a deluxe figure seems most likely.

(From Toyarchive.com)
-Hovercat with Season 2 Tygra

Like the Thunderclaw, we don't actually know that the Hovercat would've appeared in season 2 but it very well could have. Also like the Thunderclaw, we could've gotten one of the main characters with their slightly different appearance from the new season. 

(From the-saleroom.com)

-Berserker Ship with Ram Bam

 Dan confirmed in the podcast that the Berserker ship would've also appeared. Since Bandai probably wouldn't have wanted to clog up the deluxe figure line with every Berserker at once, a likely scenario is that they would've produced the Berserker ship (or maybe a smaller Berserker vehicle) and included one of the four as the exclusive figure. You may be asking why Ram Bam is the exclusive figure. The reason is that he's so simple, the other Berserkers would need deluxe figures to convey their action features whereas Ram Bam could just have a wheel stuck in his chest. Sure, you would have to include the feature where you can wind him back so that he rolls on his own, but he's still by far the simplest of the group


(From Thundercats-ho.fandom.com)

(From Toyarchive.com)









 That wraps up the sixth wave for the 4" line. Next week will be Wave 7, in which we go into toys focused on the last thirteen episodes of the series and Bengali makes his long awaited appearance! Have a great day!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thundercats 2011 Bandai line continued! (Part 2)

Welcome back! In this week's Thundercats post I'll be speculating on wave 5 of the Bandai Thundercats 4" toy line. In part 1 I talked about the fourth wave of toys in an article which can be found here and next week will be the third part about wave 6 Following the pattern I talked about in part 1, wave 5 would have mainly been focused on the first few episodes of season 2. Sadly, as most of you already know, the second season was never made😥. However, fans did got some closure from Dan Norton's "Thundercats: the rest of the series" In which he talked about what would have happened in season 2. If you're a fan of the 2011 series, I highly recommend you listen to it. Today I'll be making all speculations off of this podcast so lets pick up where we left off, with wave 5. Wave 5 --- Fall 2013  Basic Figures: - Lion-O v.3 (Season 2 look) - Lynx-O - Evil Pumyra - Berbil pack v.2 - Classic Panthro   Deluxe Figures: - Royal Lion-O - Ratar-O ...

Thundercats LJN Bengali Review

Recently, I was able to get one of the rarest figures in the entire Thundercats line: Bengali. As my favorite Thundercat, I was thrilled to finally get his figure for the cheap price of only 90 euros. Today I'll be reviewing this figure to complete my reviews of the 87 Thundercats. Enjoy! Design:   the figure's sculpt is quite well done. It's nice that LJN gave Bengali his own mold instead of repainting on of the Tygra figures; something that could have likely been had Mattel produced the line (not to knock Mattel). Like most other figures in the line, Bengali has a lever on his back that makes his arm swing up when pushed. Painting: Bengali is one of the most visually appealing Thundercats figures with his many shades of blue and white. Like Pumyra and Lynx-O , LJN payed attention to the detail and color scheme; the three shades of blue alternate nicely.   Price: Bengali could be picked up in stores for $5.99 (about $13.64 in today's money)...

The Seth Kearsley Mummies Alive! Interview

  MB:         To start off, how did you get your job working on Mummies Alive ? S.K:         I had been working in animation for a little bit, but I hadn’t been a director or producer director. I had done freelance as a storyboard artist, but I hadn’t even had a full time in house storyboard position, and when I was working at Disney …I pitched a show to them, and someone said, “Well, you have to get an agent if you’re going to pitch shows.” So now I have an agent, and he asked what I wanted to do and I said, “You know, I’ve always wanted to direct.”   Ever since I was little I remember seeing E.T at the drive in theater and asking my dad, “Why is that so good? Like, why is it so different than everything else?”   And he’s like, “Well, it’s because of the director,” and my uncle was a stage director on Broadway so my dad knew a little bit about what directing actually is.   Seth Kearsley. P...